Friday, April 10, 2015






 Mr. Grey and Ms. Steele, did you know there's more variations?





With the major motion picture release of Fifty Shades of Grey, millions of Americans now know about BDSM, one of 500 paraphilias. Count me as one of those who really did not know much about BDSM. Thanks to a great presentation by Lauren, Victoria and Emily, I now know about the other 499.  Could I have gone the rest of my life without knowing about Emetophilia?   Yes!   But thankfully, because of this knowledge, if I ever were to have a client who finds vomit arousing, I could possibly refrain from looking shocked and dismayed and treat the client with the respect that they deserve.

What a daunting project to tackle but with humor and clear organization, this team did a great treatment video and wikipage.  The cartoons provided comic relief and helped me not to"yuck someone's yum."  Focusing on the big eight paraphilias and providing the DSM 5 definitions gave this topic much needed structure.  I especially enjoyed the italicized summaries of the research reports.  Kudos on the treatment video, especially to Victoria as Shawn who kept calling his partner, "Court", short for Courtney which is such an accurate depiction!

A race car analogy is useful to describe where I was before this presentation.  I was going about 25 miles per hour.  But this project got me going 25 to 100 mph.  Talk about acceleration!  But instead of crashing into a client with an unexpected paraphilia, this presentation will keep me on track to treat everyone with dignity and acceptance.

No comments:

Post a Comment